Voyager Service Design

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 18 07:43:36 CDT 2002

>So I've broken the Voyager Service into it's two parts, the Voyager
>System (dealt with in the Voyager Project, ahem), and the Voyager
>Service (which is the interface that brings the Voyager System into the
>AG).

Cool.

>The key problem is this:
>
>What previous services have been prototyped?

with the new infrastructure? terry and I put together a dppt example; I
have a couple different versions of a Venue service; there is the docking
service also.

>What was the mechanims (or even strategy) for glueing the security?

The identification/authentication part of it comes for free - you can
arrange to be given the authenticated DN of the client when the service
methods are invoked on your service implementation. Authorization at this
point is up to the application; my current stand is that the Venue gates
login entry based on some access list, and Venue components can use the
current-user list or some other list as their access ctl list.

>I've got these parts:
>
>Python, PyGlobus, Globus 2.0; Where's the recipe book for how to create
>a service that provides functionality or content to the Venue :-)?

The first part of that is the service docs I sent the other day; the
information in there with the venue interface from the design document will
get you rolling. Step by step recipe book doesn't exist yet.

--bob