Technology Choices: MOO vs Jabber vs Messenger

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 13 08:32:45 CDT 2002

Here's another choice that might make design and implementation of 2.0
faster if we all agree: MOO or Jabber or ???.

The obvious three choices are MOO, Jabber and Messenger:

Messenger				MOO
Jabber
---------				---
------
Extensible (SDK)			Extensible (OSS)
Extensible (OSS)
Windows/Mac/-Linux		Windows/Mac/Linux
Windows/Mac/Linux
Secured with Passport		Integrated security	Modular Security
options

SASL integration

GSI available
Server unavailable		Server Open Source	Server Open
Source
Integrated with CXP		tkSchmooze!			No
Multimedia yet
Deployable (only client)	Deployable
Deployable

It seems to me that Jabber offers mostly the benefit of providing 80% of
the MOO functionality (it doesn't currently support topology or the MOO
style command set), but in a more modern solution. The architecture is
similar to what we're discussing for 2.0, and again, it's able to
integrate with our security choice of GT2.0.

Thoughts?

Ivan R. Judson .~. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~judson
Futures Laboratory .~.  630 252 0920
Argonne National Laboratory .~. 630 252 6424 Fax