Discussion Thread

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 12 05:55:45 CDT 2002

I think you mean "When we have billions of venues it's going to be hard
to keep track of them and/or find content." That's not topology, that's
meta-information, your suggestions include "organize by subject" (yellow
pages), "search and index" (googlebot), "organize by name" (white
pages). This is all content organization, which is a discovery problem,
not topology.

The web does not limit the number of links between pages, which might be
the closest analogy to our problem. The web does allow you to go
directly to any page (which we currently don't allow because it's not
consistent with the spatial metaphor).  These are what I see the crux of
the issue to be talking with Sean about why he built his venue server
the way he did.

So the question needs to be thought about more, but I think it's
something we need to think about after 2.0 is ready to go. It's good to
have it in email so we can go back and revisit the issue once we deliver
on our promises. We're currently at least one quarter, perhaps two
behind on our deliverables, and have SC coming up with nothing to show.

Ivan R. Judson .~. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~judson
Futures Laboratory .~.  630 252 0920
Argonne National Laboratory .~. 630 252 6424 Fax