persistence of service URLs

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 10 23:31:56 CST 2002

By server here you mean a server that is serving multiple services, right? I
think that's what you mean, and if so, by port I think you mean listening
port; which I think is reasonable. If those aren't what you mean, I don't
understand the above sentence (it has words that seem obvious but are
heavily overloaded).

>     o	Assign a persistent service identifier for each service
> 	we care to make persistently accessible (instead of the
> 	sequentially or randomly generated service id we use
> 	now).

Is there any reason to not expose the UniqueID for the service as a
guaranteed to be unique thing that can make URLs unambiguous? We can declare
these URLs not intended for human consumption right? If we do that, we can
make all services persistent or otherwise referenceable, which feels right I
think.