Ag2

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 4 11:19:45 CST 2002

Attached please find the beginnings of a programmer's guide (with some
library reference information) to the current venues software.

I am curious if there is a concrete target (defining exactly what
functionality is required)for the AG2 release in 3 weeks, and what features
it will include. I offer the following features of the existing code, for
consideration in your decision to start from scratch:

	Services layer, separate from the core Venue code. Intended use
	is to provide a protocol-neutral interface between the underlying
	service implementation and the application code, such that
	applications can swap between protocols without change.

	XMLRPC service implementation that fully supports Globus
	authentication and authorization mechanisms.

	Implementation of a Venue service complying with the interface
	spec as I included in the venues design document. This service
	uses the ZODB Python object database for its backing store.

	Integration of a venues-based service registry for the addition
	of dynamic services to a venue.

	Implementation of a Venue client also complying with the
	interface spec. This client supports navigation and integration
	with workspace docking.

	Workspace docking clients include a shared web browser, GASS-
	based file transfer, service-based distributed powerpoint. It
	also integrates the external tools VNC, wbd (UCL whiteboard),
	nte (UCL shared text editor), LBNL intergroup chat. There
	is also a shared file service that requires some more work.

	Windows installer packages for the dependent tools, Globus library,
	and the venues client itself.

	Tested (and developed) on both Windows and Linux).

I was intending on spending the next couple weeks nailing some of the
glitches we discovered in running this code at SC, and in completing enough
documentation for people to both use the software and to build new services
and tools to integrate with it.