Green server build

Ti Leggett leggett at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 27 11:54:51 CDT 2002

Alrighty, I *think* the green server build is a go. If you want to login
to one of the green servers, please try vv2.mcs.anl.gov and hammer away
at it. And please let me know if there are any problems or if you really
dig it.

Here's what it has:

- Globus-2.0 installed in /my/packages/globus (set GLOBUS_LOCATION
there)
- GPT-1.0 installed in /my/packages/gpt (set GPT_LOCATION there)
- python1.5 and python2.2
- wxGTK and wxPython
- pyGlobus-0.9.6 installed in /my/packages/pyglobus, but there's a link
to it from /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pyGlobus so you shouldn't
have to do anything special to use it
- apache with mod_perl, mod_python, mod_ssl, mod_dav, and php. (this
still needs to be configured but it should be working and running)
- MySQL with perl, python, and php bindings (if you want a database let
me know and I'll create it)
- PostgreSQL with perl, python, and php bindings (if you want a database
created let me know)
- sudo (with a *very* limited set of people authorized for it)
- Group writeable local disk at /disks/space0 (this is where you should
put files that you want anyone to be able to use)
- There is no NFS (Yeah!)
- Home filesystems are mounted via samba from glacier at login time, so
that means your environment will look the same as on green machines,
*BUT* no other users home dirs are available unless they are logged.
This is stronger incentive to use the group writeable storage space.
- I'm trying to make these machines single purpose servers or at the
very most serving several coupled or closely related services. Hopefully
this will aid in finding projects and code a little easier. i.e., If
you're looking for VV2 code a good place to look would be
vv2:/disks/space0
- ADSM backup is on the way but not there yet.
- There's possibly other things that might be installed as well that I
forgot, a good thing to do might be to do a "rpm -qa | sort | less" to
see what all is installed. My aim is install packages either via RPM or
in /my/packages so that it makes finding things much easier.

One other note on the databases. The databases on each machine are meant
for local development testing (doesn't mean it has to be only for that).
If you need a production database, I'd suggest asking systems for one on
yeah.mcs.anl.gov.