[ogsi-wg] Teleconference IRC (fwd)

Bob Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 13 17:07:51 CDT 2002

sounds like IRC is no joy..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:47:28 -0700
From: Frank Siebenlist <franks at mcs.anl.gov>
To: ogsi-wg at gridforum.org
Subject: Re: [ogsi-wg] Teleconference IRC

At 01:06 PM 8/13/2002, Peter Vanderbilt wrote:
>Sorry to bother the whole list about IRC, but maybe others are new
>to it also.
>
>Steve Tuecke wrote:
> >
> > Here's draft v2 of the minutes for the August 7th telecon.
>
> >    c) For the next few meetings, we will also use IRC:
> >       DAL network Room: #OGSI
>
>I am new to IRC.  I downloaded mIRC.  I use
>
>     IRC network: DALnet
>     (server:) DALnet: US, CA, fork
>
>Are these reasonable?  Are there other West coast servers?
>I have the identd server enabled.
>
>Right now (12:30 PDT) I get a "server is full" error (and connection
>timed out).  Hopefully the servers won't be so full tomorrow.  Or is
>there a GGF-specific server? (yeah, I'm dreaming)

I'm not sure what the stable servers are - at ANL, we got disconnected also
last week.

Maybe we should inform each other during the conference call what the best
servers to use are.

>Tomorrow I may be using IRC from home (as it will be 8am PDT).  My
>laptop
>will connect through a NAT gateway through client.attbi.com (which may
>be a
>network that DALnet considers suspicious in some way).  Because of NAT,
>callbacks to the identd server may not reach my laptop.  Also I'm
>suspect
>my laptop doesn't have the correct IP host name configured.  Is there an
>easy way to deal with this situation?

Currently, running identd seems to be a requirements to connect to any of
the IRC servers.

If you have a NAT/firewall box, you'll have to blow a hole in it and
forward the identd port to a machine on you local network where you run
identd (it could be any machine).

Or if you use a computer as you firewall/NAT, you can just run identd on
that one.

Hope that helps.
-Frank.