[petsc-users] Modify matrix nonzero structure

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun May 19 19:41:52 CDT 2024

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 8:25 PM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> wrote:

> You can call MatSetOption(mat,MAT_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATION_ERR) then insert
> the new values. If it is just a handful of new insertions the extra time
> should be small. Making a copy of the matrix won't give you a new matrix
> that is any faster to
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
>
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>
>    You can call MatSetOption(mat,MAT_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATION_ERR) then insert
> the new values. If it is just a handful of new insertions the extra time
> should be small.
>
>     Making a copy of the matrix won't give you a new matrix that is any
> faster to insert into so best to just use the same matrix.

Let me add to Barry's answer. The preallocation infrastructure is now not
strictly necessary. It is possible to just add all your nonzeros in and
assembly,  and the performance will be pretty good (uses hashing etc). So
if just adding a few nonzeros does not work, we can go this route.

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!ZAicuPSGpbQ0tcP9ZNf7TPN7b-DE4XuRcqUtAUEsr_yk9p2EAWn5wSAIdkxE7SYHsDeBftI_qWDRw8aUfXLK$  <https://urldefense.us/v3/__http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!ZAicuPSGpbQ0tcP9ZNf7TPN7b-DE4XuRcqUtAUEsr_yk9p2EAWn5wSAIdkxE7SYHsDeBftI_qWDRw4vwJWdb$ >