[petsc-users] PETSc options

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 6 10:30:10 CDT 2024

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 11:15 AM Pierre Jolivet <pierre at joliv.et> wrote:

> On 6 May 2024, at 3:14 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
> On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 1:04 AM Adrian Croucher <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> This Message Is From an External Sender
>> This message came from outside your organization.
>>

>> hi,
>>
>> My code has some optional command line arguments -v and -h for output of
>> version number and usage help. These are processed using Fortran's
>> get_command_argument().
>>
>> Since updating PETSc to version 3.21, I get some extra warnings after
>> the output:
>>
>> acro018 at EN438880:~$ waiwera -v
>> 1.5.0b1
>> WARNING! There are options you set that were not used!
>> WARNING! could be spelling mistake, etc!
>> There is one unused database option. It is:
>> Option left: name:-v (no value) source: command line
>>
>> That didn't used to happen. What should I do to make them go away?
>>

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Barry and Mark's suggestions will make this go away. However, it should
> not happen
> in the first place.
>

> It should happen if Adrian was previously not using 3.19.X or below.
> See https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/6601__;!!G_uCfscf7eWS!bVUciSLxU1Cw3mv04eO2KtlHR8v6ZR7CRE_CpMzmxmCn4x58fUdEJ4L-dknPq_yMbgnc9OkN_O8aOSu_aPK3$

I forgot. Not my favorite change.

Okay. You can shut this off using

  PetscCall(PetscOptionsSetValue(NULL, "-options_left", "0"))

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!bVUciSLxU1Cw3mv04eO2KtlHR8v6ZR7CRE_CpMzmxmCn4x58fUdEJ4L-dknPq_yMbgnc9OkN_O8aOQZGyQDX$  <https://urldefense.us/v3/__http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!bVUciSLxU1Cw3mv04eO2KtlHR8v6ZR7CRE_CpMzmxmCn4x58fUdEJ4L-dknPq_yMbgnc9OkN_O8aOXbl1p93$ >