[petsc-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Is there anything like a "DMPlexSetCones()" ?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 6 09:55:31 CDT 2024

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 10:17 AM Ferrand, Jesus A. <FERRANJ2 at my.erau.edu>
wrote:

> "The cone sizes are used to allocate the array to hold the cones. How
> would you have an array holding the cone information without knowing the
> sizes?"
>
> You're right, I must first know the sizes (which I determine from the
> file).
> It lists the number of cells and their types by sequential chunks.
>
> The issue I am trying to describe, is that because I cannot know the
> number of local vertices a priori, the pipeline
> DMSetChart()->DMPlexSetConeSize()->DMSetUp() essentially produces a
> redundant array (because I already have the connectivity that I read from
> the file).
> As far as I can tell, in my case, the end result of calling these APIs is
> already available, hence my wish for a "DMPlexSetCones()".
> If such an API existed, I would then attempt to retroactively set the
> Chart and the ConeSizes.
>
> Like you hinted in a reply, for this extra array to be worthwhile, I would
> have to keep it as a global numbering list (which I want to by the way).
> I was hoping to at least keep them in the DM's global PetscSection as
> offsets.
> Unfortunately, PetscSection has a similar workflow to DM:
> PetscSectionSetChart(), PetscSectionAddDof(), PetscSectionSetUp(),
> PetscSectionSetOffset().

I looked at the other parallel code. It does maintain two arrays, so that
you can compute this stuff.

I am reluctant to add this interface, since I think the optimization is
very small and it is not a good pattern.
You will save allocating the cell connectivity. However, if you interpolate
the mesh, this is small. This is the
same size as the cell orientations, which we will also have to allocate. We
are likely to allocate vectors over the mesh. It does not seem likely that
this allocation will increase the peak allocation, and it will be freed
after creation, so total size will not be affected. What is the argument
for this optimization?