[petsc-users] How rto use multigrid?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:49:33 CDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 30/10/2012 1:44 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 28/10/2012 2:17 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
>>
>> Algebraic multigrid can be used directly, -pc_type gamg
>> -pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1. Geometric either required that you use the PCMG
>> interface to set interpolation (and provide a coarse operator for
>> non-Galerkin) or use a DM that provides coarsening capability.
>>
>> What kind of problem are you solving?
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> May I know if there is an example which explains using the geometric MG,
>> either using PCMG or DM?
>>

>  SNES ex5 and ex19 both use MG.
>
>     Matt
>
> Are there examples which uses ksp and geometric MG? I want to solve a
> Poisson eqn which has been discretized to give a sys of linear eqns.

This is geometric MG. Did you run any of the tutorial runs? For example,
src/snes/examples/tutorials/makefile has

runex5:
-@${MPIEXEC} -n 1 ./ex5 -pc_type mg -ksp_monitor_short  -snes_view
-pc_mg_levels 3 -pc_mg_galerkin -da_grid_x 17 -da_grid_y 17
-mg_levels_ksp_monitor_short -mg_levels_ksp_norm_type unpreconditioned
-snes_monitor_short -mg_levels_ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues 0.5,1.1
-mg_levels_pc_type sor -pc_mg_type full > ex5_1.tmp 2>&1; \
   if (${DIFF} output/ex5_1.out ex5_1.tmp) then true; \
   else  echo  ${PWD} "\nPossible problem with with ex5, diffs above
   ${RM} -f ex5_1.tmp

and many more.

   Matt