[petsc-users] SNES line search

Peter Brune prbrune at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:34:23 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Dmitry Karpeev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Peter Brune <prbrune at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to (a) not use the solution vector as a
>>> temporary in detecting the local minimum,
>>>

>> Dumping garbage into X upon failure appears to be my careless mistake.
>> I'll fix it in 3.3.
>>

>> (b) print the norm of the last solution before bailing out of the Newton
>>> loop?
>>>

>> This can go into the -info output.
>>
> Why not (also) let SNESMonitor() be called on that last solution?

Oh, I interpreted "norm of the solution" literally rather than "norm of the
function at that solution", which makes more sense.  However, as it quits
after failing the line search and doesn't transfer the failed solution
over.  This is indeed a divergence, so printing a failed norm probably
isn't the right solution.  You can see what the line search is doing with
-snes_linesearch_monitor.

We changed the behavior in petsc-dev a little bit with respect to this type
of case, as we were seeing bad interaction between line search divergence
in the case of small step sizes and small-normed solutions with the logic
as it was in 3.3 and before.  This could be that type of problem, where the
solution is well converged and the line search cannot make more progress.

In any case, I'll fix the problem with writing garbage into the solution.

In order to truly diagnose this, output with -snes_linesearch_monitor and
-snes_converged reason would be nice.

- Peter

Dmitry.