Petsc with Intel MKL for blas/lapack

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:30:00 CDT 2009

The biggest reason that the BLAS/LAPACK configure changes so rapidly among
patchlevels
is that MKL is the worst library for maintenance. They change the content
AND the names
of the libraries, as well as the link order, in almost every version. I am
beginning to really
dislike the developers personally.

I suspect the difference is the exact patchlevel of PETSc used on the
different machines. However,
as always with configure problems, we cannot tell you anything at all unless
you send configure.log.

   Matt

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Thomas Witkowski <
thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to compile petsc on two larger HPC system, on both we use Intels MKL
> for blas and lapack. The first one is a pc farm, and I've successfully
> compiled petsc with the parameter
>
> --with-blas-lapack-dir=/work/licsoft/libraries/mkl/10.0.3.020/lib/em64t
>
> This works fine. On the other system, its an SGI Altix, I've tried to do
> the same. But it fails in configure, because petsc tries to link the test
> program with "-lblas". The same test program on the pc farm was linked with
> the correct library parameter "-lmkl". May question is, why this can happen
> and what I can do to avoid the problem? Thanks for answering!
>
> Thomas

lead.