Matrix-free multigrid

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 24 14:38:05 CDT 2009

   Hal,

     The high-level DMMG interface to PETSc's linear multigrid
currently only generates AIJ or BAIJ matrices and hence the easy
support for -dmmg_grid_sequence
only works for AIJ or BAIJ matrices.  Sorry about this.

    A temporary fix for this would be to modify DAGetMatrix() to also
accept MATMFFD type and generate the right matrix in that case. If you
know C you can easily add
this; the code is in src/dm/da/utils/fdda.c

    Barry

My long term plan is for DAGetMatrix() to actually take as input a
matrix whose type has been set and then just add additional
information to it. For matrix-free it would
just add the matrix sizes, for AIJ and BAIJ it would add the
preallocation and nonzero structure.