make test errors

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:21:58 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Yixun Liu <enjoywm at cs.wm.edu> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with MPI. Are there some easy way to test it?

1) You can tryu using MPICH instead, with --download-mpich

2) You can try compiling a simple program on your own and running it

3) I suspect that there may be a problem running on this machine. It might
    be that the configuration is different than the "compute nodes" since it
    appears that you can't see a library you need.

  Matt

> [...]
> >     I encounter the error as I run make test,
> >     >make test
> >     Running test examples to verify correct installation
> >     Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with
> >     1 MPI
> >     process
> >     See
> >
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html
> >     DAT: library load failure: /usr/lib64/libdaplcma.so.1: undefined
> >     symbol:
> >     dat_registry_add_provider
> >

> > This looks like a bizarre failure with your OpenMPI compiler wrappers.
> > Do they work
> > at all?
> >
> >   Matt
> >

> >     I list the output of configure. Hope it helpful for diagnosis.
> >
> >     > ./config/configure.py --download-parmetis
> >
> ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
> >     TESTING: alternateConfigureLibrary from
> >     PETSc.packages.petsc4py(config/PETSc/packages/petsc4py.py:69)
> >     Compilers:
> >      C Compiler:         mpicc  -Wall -Wwrite-strings
> >     -Wno-strict-aliasing -g3
> >      Fortran Compiler:   mpif90  -Wall -Wno-unused-variable -g
> >     Linkers:
> >      Static linker:   /usr/bin/ar cr
> >     PETSc:
> >      **
> >      ** Before running "make" your PETSC_ARCH must be specified with:
> >      **  ** setenv PETSC_ARCH linux-gnu-c-debug (csh/tcsh)
> >      **  ** PETSC_ARCH=linux-gnu-c-debug; export PETSC_ARCH (sh/bash)
> >      **
> >      PETSC_DIR: /home/scratch/yixun/petsc-3.0.0-p3
> >      **
> >      ** Now build the libraries with "make all"
> >      **
> >      Clanguage: C
> >      PETSc shared libraries: disabled
> >      PETSc dynamic libraries: disabled
> >      Scalar type:real
> >     MPI:
> >      Includes: -I/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include
> >     -I/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64
> >     X11:
> >      Includes: ['']
> >      Library: ['-lX11']
> >     BLAS/LAPACK: -llapack -lblas
> >     ParMetis:
> >      Includes: -I/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include
> >     -I/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64
> >     -I/home/scratch/yixun/petsc-3.0.0-p3/linux-gnu-c-debug/include
> >      Library:
> >     -Wl,-rpath,/home/scratch/yixun/petsc-3.0.0-p3/linux-gnu-c-debug/lib
> >     -L/home/scratch/yixun/petsc-3.0.0-p3/linux-gnu-c-debug/lib -lparmetis
> >     -lmetis

> >     Yixun
> >

> > --
> > experiments is infinitely more interesting than any results to which

lead.