[Swift-devel] recent error on beagle

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 6 02:55:16 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 16:21 -0500, Tim Armstrong wrote:
> Mihael:  thanks, I appreciate it, sorry to bug you

No problem.

I did the backport to the branch. However, I do want to stress the fact
that this should be tested by folk independently.

> Mike: this problem was occuring to me on PADS (the thread was
> originally about a similar problem on Beagle).  I haven't made any
> progress debugging the issue on beagle, beyond coming up with the
> minimal example to replicate it.  I managed to pare down the example
> even more: it deadlocks if the pthread library is linked dynamically,
> even if no pthreads functions are actually used. Ie. the deadlock
> happens at the time the shared library is loaded.

Have you tried an strace?

I believe that libraries support some kind of initialization routine,
and pthreads may make use of that, and that may explain why it locks up
even without pthreads stuff being called explicitly.

Mihael