[Swift-devel] execute2 IDs

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Sep 29 05:38:44 CDT 2007

execute2s used to have an explicit unique ID - the jobid; but not after
r1268 was put it, it looks like, because that comes from the execute layer
and is shared by all execute2 that run inside an execute.

it looks like that will change the behaviour of job working directories -
rather than having a separate job directory and kickstart record for each
attempt to run (i.e. each execute2) I think that means that these will now
attempt to be shared between all invocations.

I think (at least from the kickstart perspective) that is undesirable.

It would be useful to have both an execute-level ID (roughly analogous to
a VDL1 derivation name) and an execute2-level ID (that identifies a
particular attempt to perform a VDL1-derivation-analogue).