sieve-dev memory cost for the globalOrder

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 12:41:09 CDT 2008

Hi there,

I am profiling the memory usage of my code and I am surprised to find out
that the call to getGlobalOrder() cost a lot of memory. For example, the
following two calls
const Obj<PETSC_MESH_TYPE::order_type>& velGlobalOrder =
m->getFactory()->getGlobalOrder(m, vel[0]->getName(), vel[0]);
const Obj<PETSC_MESH_TYPE::order_type>& preGlobalOrder =
m->getFactory()->getGlobalOrder(m, p->getName(), p);
cost about the the same amount of memory as the isieve mesh itself. Is this
normal?
I normally think this is simply a fetch of existing data structure which
should not incur any extra memory allocation.

The globalOrder is used to do a number of things, such as creating the
indices visitors. So I would really love to know if there is any improvement
to be made. Thank you very much.

--
Sincerely,
Shi Jin, Ph.D.