sieve-dev FIAT import question

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:57:46 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:
> On Tue 2008-03-25 08:24, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:
>  > > When I try to build the sieve examples, I get errors like the one below.  If I
>  > >  move the `import FIAT.shapes' up to the top of the file, it works just fine.  I
>  > >  don't know if there is something peculiar about my configuration, but this
>  > >  problem hasn't gone away in the last weeks so I thought I'd mention it.  My
>  > >  configuration included the options:
>  >
>  > Do you have numpy in a weird place? You are the first to report this
>  > error, and I
>  > am not sure sure how moving an import would matter, but evidently on your
>  > system it does somehow. In order to debug it, I need to know how you installed
>  > numpy.
>
>  No, it is in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/.  I see the same problem on
>  two systems, an x86 Ubuntu system with numpy installed via apt and an x86_64

I have exactly an x86 Ubuntu apt system and do not get this error (and
neither do
my students, Bras at USGS, Charles at RPI, or Shi Jin in UMBC), so
something must
be different. There is something that prevents the import the second
time, but it
probably an error in some installed python package, and I would need
to be on the
system to find it (I already found one in the last version of numpy).

  Matt

>  Archlinux system with numpy built from source and installed with package
>  manager.  I have PYTHONPATH=/home/jed/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages because
>  that is where I installed FIAT and other fenics packages.  What exactly is the
>  build system trying to do in this case?  As noted above, when I just import FIAT
>  at the top instead of in run(), everything works fine.  Since this modification
>  is easy, if it doesn't affect any one else, no problem, but these systems are
>  really quite standard so I'm surprised it hasn't popped up.  I have attached
>  verbose output from my python session.
>
>  Jed

their experiments lead.
-- Norbert Wiener