[petsc-users] SNES seems not use my matrix-free operation

Yi Hu y.hu at mpie.de
Tue Jan 16 03:47:52 CST 2024

Dear Barry,

Thanks for your reply. In fact, this still does not work, giving the error “code not yet written for matrix type shell”. I also tried recording F_global as base in my global shell matrix Jac_PETSc. And fetch it in my GK_op, but the same error occurs. So the question is still, how can I assign the Jac in my formJacobian() to my global defined Jac_PETSc when set up with SNESSetJacobian(snes,Jac_PETSc,Jac_PETSc,formJacobian,0,ierr). As far as I understand, when using SNESSetJacobian() the jac argument is only for reserving memory. And the matrix is not written yet. Only a valid formJacobian() can lead to a write to the matrix. My formJacobian maybe not valid (because the output not gives me print), so the Jac_PETSc is never written for the SNES. Maybe I am wrong about it.

Best wishes,
Yi