[petsc-users] Hypre freezing with Mat type mpiaij and Vec type mpi

Edoardo Centofanti edoardo.centofanti01 at universitadipavia.it
Fri Jan 5 04:40:19 CST 2024

Dear all,

I have a code running both on GPU and CPU. This code has both cuda kernels
and calls to PETSc KSP and related PC. In particular, I am trying to
perform tests with Hypre BoomerAMG both on CPU and GPU. In order to do
that, on CPU I am running the code with -mat_type mpiaij and -vec_type mpi,
while on GPU I am using respectively aijcusparse and cuda.

The configuration ran for PETSc (version is 3.20) is
./configure PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux-cuda --with-cuda --download-mumps
--download-hypre --with-debugging=0 --download-scalapack
--download-parmetis --download-metis --download-fblaslapack=1
--download-mpich --download-make --download-cmake

My problem is that when I try to run my code on GPU it works well, while on
CPU with mat_type mpiaij and -vec_type mpi it works regularly until the
call to Hypre, then freezes (I have to kill it myself), while with GAMG it
works on CPU with the same configuration (and the same code, just PC is
changed).
On another machine running PETSc version 3.17 everything worked smoothly
with the same code and the same configuration, also on Hypre.
Do you have any insights on what is happening?

Best regards,
Edoardo