[petsc-users] PETSc-GPU

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 06:32:36 CDT 2024

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 7:23 AM Karthikeyan Chockalingam - STFC UKRI via
petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hello, When PETSc is installed with GPU support, will it run only on GPUs
> or can it be run on CPUs (without GPUs)? Currently, PETSc crashes when run
> on CPUs. Thank you. Best regards, Karthik. -- Karthik Chockalingam, Ph. D.
> Senior Research Software
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
>
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
>
> Hello,
>

> When PETSc is installed with GPU support, will it run only on GPUs or can
> it be run on CPUs (without GPUs)? Currently, PETSc crashes when run on CPUs.

It should run on both. Can you send the crash? I think we did fix a problem
with it eagerly initializing GPUs when they were absent.

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!a0VV8buEHYPmWgGr_wyPE35z-vFWz2YwIgw3_bJI-_ydHr3nvKWF8LjXSvvoCPZ0U1zxOqXdxcrOKx8-ahM8$  <https://urldefense.us/v3/__http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!a0VV8buEHYPmWgGr_wyPE35z-vFWz2YwIgw3_bJI-_ydHr3nvKWF8LjXSvvoCPZ0U1zxOqXdxcrOK47tCWWc$ >