[petsc-users] Issues with PETSc Configuration using gfortran-13 after Updating to Xcode 15 on MacOS Ventura 13.6

Felipe Caro msc.felipe.caro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 02:42:37 CDT 2023

Hello PETSc Support Team,

I hope this email finds you well. I need help configuring PETSc on my Mac
running MacOS Ventura 13.6 with Xcode 15. I have recently updated my
operating system and Xcode and am facing issues setting up PETSc with
gfortran-13.

Thank you for your assistance.

System Information

   - MacOS Version: Ventura 13.6
   - Xcode Version: 15
   - gfortran Version: 13 (installed via Homebrew)
   - PETSc Version: [Your PETSc Version]

Steps to Reproduce

I followed the standard installation steps as outlined in the PETSc
documentation. Below is the relevant section of the Bash script I used for
configuration:

#!/bin/bash

# PETSc environment variables

export PETSC_DIR=/path/to/petsc

export PETSC_ARCH=arch-cmplx-opt

# Configuration

cd $PETSC_DIR

./configure --with-cc=gcc-13 --with-cxx=g++-13 --with-fc=gfortran-13
--with-f90=gfortran-13 \

  --with-debugging=no --with-scalar-type=complex --with-openmp \

  --download-mpich --download-fblaslapack --download-scalapack \

  --download-mumps --download-metis --download-parmetis --download-hwloc \

  COPTFLAGS="-O3" CXXOPTFLAGS="-O3" FOPTFLAGS="-Ofast" $PETSC_ARCH

Error Message

The configure script throws the following error:

UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS (see configure.log for details):

Fortran compiler you provided with --with-fc=gfortran-13 cannot be found or
does not work.

Cannot compile/link FC with gfortran-13.

To verify if gfortran-13 is working, I tested it by compiling a simple
Fortran program, and it worked despite a linker warning related to
duplicate libraries.
Additional Information

I also ran brew doctor to ensure my Homebrew setup was fine and no issues
were found.

Can you guide me on how to resolve this issue? I can also provide the
configure.log file if that would be helpful for debugging.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

I am attaching my config.log

Best Regards,

Felipe.