[petsc-users] Looking for PETSc Example: Poisson Equation in 2D using FEM - scale upto 1000 procs

Khurana, Parv p.khurana22 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 18 10:15:58 CDT 2023

Hello PETSc users,

Thank you for this very active community of users and the mailing list.

I am looking for a PETSc example which solves the Poisson equation on a 2D domain using FEM (or HO-FEM if possible). I would like the following:

  1.  The example should be formulated fully on PETSc, and to be solved with KSP objects in PETSc.
  2.  The problem should scale up to a few hundred processors (ideally 1000 procs).
  3.  Ideally on a unit square with either Square or Triangle element discretization.
  4.  There should be an option to specify Dirichlet/Neumann-type BCs on the boundaries.

I was wondering if someone could point me to such an example as I am relatively new to PETSc - and I am trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. I have had a look at Examples 29,32,50 and 66 in the PETSc tutorials - while they are very close to what I need I am not sure if they scale to a few hundred processors. Furthermore, I am aware that I can formulate such a problem with FENICS/Firedrake with relative ease and these software interfaces with PETSc quite well. However, I am just trying to see if such an application already exists purely in PETSc.

Thanks, and Best
Parv