[petsc-users] Is precondition works for ill-conditioned jacobian matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Sep 14 12:37:46 CDT 2023

  Method 1 and 2 are unlikely to work.

  It sounds like your matrix is (in exact precision) singular, but using 128 bit floats allows a "stable" factorization to go through giving you a descent direction for Newton.

  I think you really need to fix the singularity at the modeling level, it is not robust to fix it at the numerical algorithm level. If you know the exact form of the null spaces you can use MatSetNullSpace() but you cannot use a direct solver for the system since the factorization will still see the singular matrix.

   Barry