[petsc-users] Copying PETSc Objects Across MPI Communicators

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 11:01:42 CDT 2023

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 11:55 PM Damyn Chipman <
damynchipman at u.boisestate.edu> wrote:

> Great thanks, that seemed to work well. This is something my algorithm
> will do fairly often (“elevating” a node’s communicator to a communicator
> that includes siblings). The matrices formed are dense but low rank. With
> MatCreateSubMatrix, it appears I do a lot of copying from one Mat to
> another. Is there a way to do it with array copying or pointer movement
> instead of copying entries?

We could make a fast path for dense that avoids MatSetValues(). Can you
make an issue for this? The number one thing that would make this faster is
to contribute a small test. Then we could run it continually when putting
in the fast path to make sure we are preserving correctness.