[petsc-users] Galerkin projection using petsc4py

Pierre Jolivet pierre at joliv.et
Wed Oct 11 00:18:10 CDT 2023

I disagree with what Mark and Matt are saying: your code is fine, the error message is fine, petsc4py is fine (in this instance).
It’s not a typical use case of MatPtAP(), which is mostly designed for MatAIJ, not MatDense.
On the one hand, in the MatDense case, indeed there will be a mismatch between the number of columns of A and the number of rows of P, as written in the error message.
On the other hand, there is not much to optimize when computing C = P’ A P with everything being dense.
I would just write this as B = A P and then C = P’ B (but then you may face the same issue as initially reported, please let us know then).

Thanks,
Pierre

> On 11 Oct 2023, at 2:42 AM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> This looks like a false positive or there is some subtle bug here that we are not seeing.
> Could this be the first time parallel PtAP has been used (and reported) in petsc4py?
>
> Mark
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 8:27 PM Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com <mailto:knepley at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 5:34 PM Thanasis Boutsikakis <thanasis.boutsikakis at corintis.com <mailto:thanasis.boutsikakis at corintis.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Revisiting my code and the proposed solution from Pierre, I realized this works only in sequential. The reason is that PETSc partitions those matrices only row-wise, which leads to an error due to the mismatch between number of columns of A (non-partitioned) and the number of rows of Phi (partitioned).
>>
>> Are you positive about this? P^T A P is designed to run in this scenario, so either we have a bug or the diagnosis is wrong.
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>
>>      Matt
>>
>>> """Experimenting with PETSc mat-mat multiplication"""
>>>
>>> import time
>>>
>>> import numpy as np
>>> from colorama import Fore
>>> from firedrake import COMM_SELF, COMM_WORLD
>>> from firedrake.petsc import PETSc
>>> from mpi4py import MPI
>>> from numpy.testing import assert_array_almost_equal
>>>
>>> from utilities import Print
>>>
>>> nproc = COMM_WORLD.size
>>> rank = COMM_WORLD.rank
>>>
>>> def create_petsc_matrix(input_array, sparse=True):
>>>     """Create a PETSc matrix from an input_array
>>>
>>>     Args:
>>>         input_array (np array): Input array
>>>         partition_like (PETSc mat, optional): Petsc matrix. Defaults to None.
>>>         sparse (bool, optional): Toggle for sparese or dense. Defaults to True.
>>>
>>>     Returns:
>>>         PETSc mat: PETSc mpi matrix
>>>     """
>>>     # Check if input_array is 1D and reshape if necessary
>>>     assert len(input_array.shape) == 2, "Input array should be 2-dimensional"
>>>     global_rows, global_cols = input_array.shape
>>>     size = ((None, global_rows), (global_cols, global_cols))
>>>
>>>     # Create a sparse or dense matrix based on the 'sparse' argument
>>>     if sparse:
>>>         matrix = PETSc.Mat().createAIJ(size=size, comm=COMM_WORLD)
>>>     else:
>>>         matrix = PETSc.Mat().createDense(size=size, comm=COMM_WORLD)
>>>     matrix.setUp()
>>>
>>>     local_rows_start, local_rows_end = matrix.getOwnershipRange()
>>>
>>>     for counter, i in enumerate(range(local_rows_start, local_rows_end)):
>>>         # Calculate the correct row in the array for the current process
>>>         row_in_array = counter + local_rows_start
>>>         matrix.setValues(
>>>             i, range(global_cols), input_array[row_in_array, :], addv=False
>>>         )
>>>
>>>     # Assembly the matrix to compute the final structure
>>>     matrix.assemblyBegin()
>>>     matrix.assemblyEnd()
>>>
>>>     return matrix
>>>
>>> # --------------------------------------------
>>> # EXP: Galerkin projection of an mpi PETSc matrix A with an mpi PETSc matrix Phi
>>> #  A' = Phi.T * A * Phi
>>> # [k x k] <- [k x m] x [m x m] x [m x k]
>>> # --------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> m, k = 100, 7
>>> # Generate the random numpy matrices
>>> np.random.seed(0)  # sets the seed to 0
>>> A_np = np.random.randint(low=0, high=6, size=(m, m))
>>> Phi_np = np.random.randint(low=0, high=6, size=(m, k))

>>> # TEST: Galerking projection of numpy matrices A_np and Phi_np
>>> Aprime_np = Phi_np.T @ A_np @ Phi_np
>>> Print(f"MATRIX Aprime_np [{Aprime_np.shape[0]}x{Aprime_np.shape[1]}]")