[petsc-users] DMPlex and Gmsh

Sharan Roongta s.roongta at mpie.de
Wed Nov 8 12:13:16 CST 2023

Dear Petsc team,

I want to load a .msh file generated using Gmsh software into the DMPlex object. There are several things I would want to clarify, but I would like to start with "Physical tags".

If I have defined "Physical Points", "Physical Surface", and "Physical Volume" in my .geo file, I get the physical tags in the ".msh" file.
When I load this mesh in DMPlex, and view the DM:

call DMView(globalMesh, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD,err_PETSc)
  CHKERRQ(err_PETSc)

This is the output I get:

DM Object: n/a 1 MPI process
  type: plex
n/a in 3 dimensions:
  Number of 0-cells per rank: 14
  Number of 1-cells per rank: 49
  Number of 2-cells per rank: 60
  Number of 3-cells per rank: 24
Labels:
  celltype: 4 strata with value/size (0 (14), 6 (24), 3 (60), 1 (49))
  depth: 4 strata with value/size (0 (14), 1 (49), 2 (60), 3 (24))
  Cell Sets: 1 strata with value/size (8 (24))
  Face Sets: 6 strata with value/size (2 (4), 3 (4), 4 (4), 5 (4), 6 (4), 7 (4))

I was expecting to get the "Node Sets" or "Vertex Sets" also. Is my assumption wrong?

If yes, then how can one figure out the boundary nodes and their tags where I want to apply certain boundary conditions?
Currently we apply boundary conditions on faces, therefore "Face Sets" was enough. But now we want to apply displacements on certain boundary nodes.

I have also attached the .geo and .msh file (hope you can open it)
The Petsc version I am using is 3.18.6.

Thanks and Regards,
Sharan Roongta

Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Straße 1
D-40237 Düsseldorf

Handelsregister B 2533
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf

Geschäftsführung
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Dehm
Prof. Dr. Jörg Neugebauer
Prof. Dr. Dierk Raabe
Dr. Kai de Weldige

Ust.-Id.-Nr.: DE 11 93 58 514
Steuernummer: 105 5891 1000
Please consider that invitations and e-mails of our institute are
only valid if they end with ... at mpie.de.
If you are not sure of the validity please contact rco at mpie.de

Bitte beachten Sie, dass Einladungen zu Veranstaltungen und E-Mails
aus unserem Haus nur mit der Endung ... at mpie.de gültig sind.
In Zweifelsfällen wenden Sie sich bitte an rco at mpie.de

Stay up to date and follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.

only valid if they end with …@mpie.de.
If you are not sure of the validity please contact rco at mpie.de

Bitte beachten Sie, dass Einladungen zu Veranstaltungen und E-Mails
aus unserem Haus nur mit der Endung …@mpie.de gültig sind.
In Zweifelsfällen wenden Sie sich bitte an rco at mpie.de