[petsc-users] Using dmplexdistribute do parallel FEM code.

neil liu liufield at gmail.com
Thu May 18 19:47:12 CDT 2023

Thanks, Matt. I am using the following steps to build a local to global
mapping.
Step 1) PetscSectionCreate ();
    PetscSectionSetNumFields();
    PetscSectionSetChart ();
    //Set dof for each node
  PetscSectionSetup (s);
 Step 2)
  PetscCall(DMGetLocalToGlobalMapping(dm, &ltogm));
  PetscCall(ISLocalToGlobalMappingGetIndices(ltogm, &g_idx));

For 2D mesh from the example,
https://wg-beginners.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorials/dm/plex/introductory_tutorial_plex.html
the map from rank 0 (MPI) and rank 1(MPI) matches well with the global node
ordering.

But When I tried a 3D gmsh, (2 hexahedra (12 nodes ) were split into 12
tetrahedra). ( 2 processors in total ) Each processor handles 9 nodes
separately. When I checked the local to global mapping,  It seems the
mapping is not right.
For example, the mapping array is
 Local Global (left: local node number; right: global node number).
provided.
 0  0
 1 3
 2 5
 3 1
 4 6
 5 8
 6 2
 7 9
 8 11
  But the coordinates between the local (left) and global nodes (right) are
not the same, meaning they are not matching. Did I miss something? In
addition, the simple 3D gmsh file has been  attached if you need.
*Gmsh file:*
$MeshFormat
4.1 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$PhysicalNames
3
2 27 "Excit"
2 28 "PEC"
3 29 "volume"
$EndPhysicalNames
$Entities
8 12 6 1
1 0 0 0 0
2 0 0.25 0 0
3 0 0.25 0.25 0
4 0 0 0.25 0
5 1 0 0 0
6 1 0.25 0 0
10 1 0.25 0.25 0
14 1 0 0.25 0
1 0 0 0 0 0.25 0 0 2 1 -2
2 0 0.25 0 0 0.25 0.25 0 2 2 -3
3 0 0 0.25 0 0.25 0.25 0 2 3 -4
4 0 0 0 0 0 0.25 0 2 4 -1
6 1 0 0 1 0.25 0 0 2 5 -6
7 1 0.25 0 1 0.25 0.25 0 2 6 -10
8 1 0 0.25 1 0.25 0.25 0 2 10 -14
9 1 0 0 1 0 0.25 0 2 14 -5
11 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 1 -5
12 0 0.25 0 1 0.25 0 0 2 2 -6
16 0 0.25 0.25 1 0.25 0.25 0 2 3 -10
20 0 0 0.25 1 0 0.25 0 2 4 -14
1 0 0 0 0 0.25 0.25 1 27 4 1 2 3 4
13 0 0 0 1 0.25 0 1 28 4 1 12 -6 -11
17 0 0.25 0 1 0.25 0.25 0 4 2 16 -7 -12
21 0 0 0.25 1 0.25 0.25 1 28 4 3 20 -8 -16
25 0 0 0 1 0 0.25 0 4 4 11 -9 -20
26 1 0 0 1 0.25 0.25 1 28 4 6 7 8 9
1 0 0 0 1 0.25 0.25 1 29 6 -1 26 13 17 21 25
$EndEntities
$Nodes
17 12 1 12
0 1 0 1