[petsc-users] Node numbering in parallel partitioned mesh

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue May 2 10:25:42 CDT 2023

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 11:03 AM Karthikeyan Chockalingam - STFC UKRI <
karthikeyan.chockalingam at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thank you Matt.
>

> I will look to find out those shared nodes. Sorry, I didn’t get it when
> you say “Roots are owned, and leaves are not owned”

That is the nomenclature from PetscSF.

> My question was specifically related to numbering – how do I start
> numbering in a partition from where I left off from the previous partition
> without double counting so that the node numbers are unique?

1) Determine the local sizes

    Run over the local nodes. If any are not owned, do not count them.

2) Get the local offset nStart

    Add up the local sizes to get the offset for each process using
MPI_Scan()

3) Number locally

   Run over local nodes and number each owned node, starting with nStart

Let's say I have a VECMPI which is distributed among the partitions. When I