[petsc-users] SOLVE + PC combination for 7 point stencil (unstructured) poisson solution

Vanella, Marcos (Fed) marcos.vanella at nist.gov
Tue Jun 27 13:56:47 CDT 2023

Thank you Matt. I'll try the flags you recommend for monitoring. Correct, I'm trying to see if GPU would provide an advantage for this particular Poisson solution we do in our code.

Our grids are staggered with the Poisson unknown in cell centers. All my tests for single mesh runs with 100K to 200K meshes show MKL PARDISO as the faster option for these meshes considering the mesh as unstructured (an implementation separate from the PETSc option). We have the option of Fishpack (fast trigonometric solvers), but that is not as general (requires solution on the whole mesh + a special treatment of immersed geometry). The single mesh solver is used as a black box within a fixed point domain decomposition iteration in multi-mesh cases. The approximation error in this method is confined to the mesh boundaries.

The other option I have tried with MKL is to build the global matrix across all meshes and use the MKL cluster sparse solver. The problem becomes a memory one for meshes that go over a couple million unknowns due to the exact Cholesky factorization matrix storage. I'm thinking the other possibility using PETSc is to build in parallel the global matrix (as done for the MKL global solver) and try the GPU accelerated Krylov + multigrid preconditioner. If this can bring down the time to solution to what we get for the previous scheme and keep memory use undrr control it would be a good option for CPU+GPU systems. Thing is we need to bring the residual of the equation to ~10^-10 or less to avoid instability so it might still be costly.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks,
Marcos