[petsc-users] Scalable Solver for Incompressible Flow

Alexander Lindsay alexlindsay239 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:03:08 CDT 2023

Returning to Sebastian's question about the correctness of the current LSC
implementation: in the taxonomy paper that Jed linked to (which talks about
SIMPLE, PCD, and LSC), equation 21 shows four applications of the inverse
of the velocity mass matrix. In the PETSc implementation there are at most
two applications of the reciprocal of the diagonal of A (an approximation
to the velocity mass matrix without more plumbing, as already pointed out).
It seems like for code implementations in which there are possible scaling
differences between the velocity and pressure equations, that this
difference in the number of inverse applications could be significant? I
know Jed said that these scalings wouldn't really matter if you have a
uniform grid, but I'm not 100% convinced yet.

I might try fiddling around with adding two more reciprocal applications.