[petsc-users] Interpolation Between DMSTAG Objects

Colton Bryant coltonbryant2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Wed Jun 7 11:43:11 CDT 2023

Hello,

I am new to PETSc so apologies in advance if there is an easy answer to
this question I've overlooked.

I have a problem in which the computational domain is divided into two
overlapping regions (overset grids). I would like to discretize each region
as a separate DMSTAG object. What I do not understand is how to go about
interpolating a vector from say DM1 onto nodes in DM2. My current (likely
inefficient) idea is to create vectors of query points on DM2, share these
vectors among all processes, perform the interpolations on DM1, and then
insert the results into the vector on DM2.

Before I embark on manually setting up the communication here I wanted to
just ask if there is any native support for this kind of operation in PETSc
I may be missing.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,
Colton Bryant