[petsc-users] support for mixed block size matrices/AIM in PETSc?

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at opengosim.com
Mon Jul 24 05:34:22 CDT 2023

Hello PETSc Users/Developers,

A collegue of mine is looking into implementing an adaptive implicit method
(AIM) over
PETSc in our simulator. This has led to some interesting questions about
what can
be done with blocked matrices, which I'm not able to answer myself - does
anyone have
any insight?

Apparently it would be ideal if we could find a matrix (and vector) type
that supports a kind
of mixed block size:

"For AIM [...] we will have matrix elements of various shapes: 1x1, 1xN,
Nx1 and NxN. [...]. The solution and residual will be a mix of 1 and N
variable/cell block"

There are ideas for how to implement what we want using the
fixed-block-size objects we
understand well, but if anything like the above exists it would be very
exciting.

Thanks,

Daniel