[petsc-users] Structured (DMDA) vs Unstructured (DMPlex) meshes

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Jul 17 11:48:36 CDT 2023

   The largest potential advantage of DMDA is likely the possibility of easily using geometric multigrid if it is appropriate for the problem (or subproblem of the problem) you are solving. The second advantage is, this depends on your PDE and discretization, the simplicity of your code, and what part of PETSc it depends on, if it doesn't depend on DMPLEX (and doesn't need to) then that is a good thing. Disadvantage of DMDA  is lack of flexibility in discretization, handling of non-standard boundary conditions, geometry.