[petsc-users] Domain decomposition in PETSc for Molecular Dynamics

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 18:43:29 CST 2023

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 7:28 PM MIGUEL MOLINOS PEREZ <mmolinos at us.es> wrote:

> I meant the list of atoms which lies inside of a sphere of radius R_cutoff
> centered at the mean position of a given atom.

Okay, this is possible in parallel, but would require hard work and I have
not done it yet, although I think all the tools are coded.

In serial, there are at least two ways to do it. First, you can use a k-d
tree implementation, since they usually have the radius query. I have not
put one of these in, because I did not like any implementation, but
Underworld and Firedrake have and it works fine. Second, you can choose a
grid size of R_cutoff for the background grid, and then check neighbors.
This is probably how I would start.