[petsc-users] Domain decomposition in PETSc for Molecular Dynamics

MIGUEL MOLINOS PEREZ mmolinos at us.es
Tue Dec 12 13:36:01 CST 2023

Dear Matthew and Mark,

Thank you for four useful guidance.  I have taken as a starting point the example in "dm/tutorials/swarm_ex3.c" to build a first approximation for domain decomposition in my molecular dynamics code (diffusive molecular dynamic to be more precise :-) ). And I must say that I am very happy with the result. However, in my journey integrating domain decomposition into my code, I am facing some new (and expected) problems.  The first is in the implementation of the nearest neighbor algorithm (list of atoms closest to each atom).

My current approach to the problem is a brute force algorithm (double loop through the list of atoms and calculate the distance). However, it seems that if I call the "neighbours" function after the "DMSwarmMigrate" function the search algorithm does not work correctly. My thoughts / hints are:

  *   The two nested for loops should be done on the global indexing of the atoms instead of the local one (I don't know how to get this number).
  *   If I print the mean position of atom #0 (for example) each range prints a different value of the average position. One of them is the correct position corresponding to site #0, the others are different (but identically labeled) atomic sites. Which means that the site_i index is not bijective.

I believe that solving this problem will increase my understanding of the domain decomposition approach and may allow me to fix the remaining parts of my code.

Any additional comments are greatly appreciated. For instance, I will be happy to be pointed to any piece of code (petsc examples for example) with solves a similar problem in order to self-learn learn by example.

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Miguel

This is the piece of code (simplified) which computes the list of neighbours for each atomic site. DMD is a structure which contains the atomistic information (DMSWARM), and the background mesh and bounding cell (DMDA and DMShell)

int neighbours(DMD* Simulation) {

PetscFunctionBegin;
PetscCallMPI(MPI_Comm_rank(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &rank));

PetscCall(DMSwarmGetLocalSize(Simulation->atomistic_data, &n_atoms_local));

//! Get array with the mean position of the atoms
DMSwarmGetField(Simulation->atomistic_data, DMSwarmPICField_coor, &blocksize, NULL,
(void**)&mean_q_ptr);
Eigen::Map<MatrixType> mean_q(mean_q_ptr, n_atoms_local, dim);

int* neigh = Simulation->neigh;
int* numneigh = Simulation->numneigh;

for (unsigned int site_i = 0; site_i < n_atoms_local; site_i++) {

//! Get mean position of site i
Eigen::Vector3d mean_q_i = mean_q.block<1, 3>(site_i, 0);

//! Search neighbourhs in the main cell (+ periodic cells)
for (unsigned site_j = 0; site_j < n_atoms_local; site_j++) {
if (site_i != site_j) {
//! Get mean position of site j in the periodic box
Eigen::Vector3d mean_q_j = mean_q.block<1, 3>(site_j, 0);

//! Check is site j is the neibourhood of the site i
double norm_r_ij = (mean_q_i - mean_q_j).norm();
if ((norm_r_ij <= r_cutoff_ADP) && (numneigh[site_i] < maxneigh)) {
neigh[site_i * maxneigh + numneigh[site_i]] = site_j;
numneigh[site_i] += 1;
}
}
}

} // MPI for loop (site_i)

DMSwarmRestoreField(Simulation->atomistic_data, DMSwarmPICField_coor, &blocksize,
NULL, (void**)&mean_q_ptr);

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

This is the piece of code that I use to read the atomic positions (mean_q) from a file:
//! @brief mean_q: Mean value of each atomic position
double* mean_q;
PetscCall(DMSwarmGetField(atomistic_data, DMSwarmPICField_coor, &blocksize,
NULL, (void**)&mean_q));

cnt = 0;
for (PetscInt site_i = 0; site_i < n_atoms_local; site_i++) {
if (cnt < n_atoms) {
mean_q[blocksize * cnt + 0] = Simulation_file.mean_q[cnt * dim + 0];
mean_q[blocksize * cnt + 1] = Simulation_file.mean_q[cnt * dim + 1];
mean_q[blocksize * cnt + 2] = Simulation_file.mean_q[cnt * dim + 2];

cnt++;
}
}
PetscCall(DMSwarmRestoreField(atomistic_data, DMSwarmPICField_coor,
&blocksize, NULL, (void**)&mean_q));

[Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 19.42.13.png]