[petsc-users] Some questions about the directory structure

meator meator.dev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:14:25 CDT 2023

Hi. I'm trying to package PETSc using the tarball with documentation
(https://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/release-snapshots/petsc-with-docs-3.19.4.tar.gz)
and I've got some questions about the structure of PETSc.

What are the contents of the /usr/lib/petsc directory in destdir for?
This directory has two subrirectories: bin and conf. Why is the bin/
directory in lib/? lib/ should be for libraries. Are the executables
contained in /usr/lib/petsc/bin essential to the user or the developer
(should this be in a -devel subpackage)? Some of the scripts don't have
the executable bit (/usr/lib/petsc/bin/configureTAS.py,
/usr/lib/petsc/bin/extract.py,
/usr/lib/petsc/bin/petsc_tas_style.mplstyle,
/usr/lib/petsc/bin/tasClasses.py, /usr/lib/petsc/bin/xml2flamegraph.py).
What is their purpose?

The /usr/lib/petsc/conf directory seems to be related to the build
process. Is that correct? If yes, I will delete the directory from the
package because packages shouldn't include these things. This directory
even includes uninstall.py which is undesirable for a packaged program
because this is the package manager's job.

/usr/share/petsc looks like it contains additional info useful to the
developers, therefore it should be in a -devel subpackage.

I see that the docs directory contains .buildinfo. Does this directory
contain additional build artifacts (that should be removed)?

The main index.html of the documentation (from the tarball linked at the
beginning of this e-mail) is invalid. It has all the menus but the main
part of the page is blank. The raw HTML is cut off, there's no content
and there are unclosed tags.

Many of my questions may be trivial but I want to make sure to not break
the package.

Thanks in advance