[petsc-users] question about MatSetLocalToGlobalMapping

Zhang, Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 20 15:28:29 CDT 2023

Pierre,
1) Is there any hope to get PDIPDM to use a MatNest?

KKT matrix is indefinite and ill-conditioned, which must be solved using a direct matrix factorization method. For the current implementation, we use MUMPS Cholesky as default. To use MatNest, what direct solver to use, SCHUR_FACTOR? I do not know how to get it work.

2) Is this fixed https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-dev/2020-September/026398.html ?
I cannot get users to transition away from Ipopt because of these two missing features.

The existing pdipm is the result of a MS student intern project. None of us involved are experts on the optimization solvers. We made a straightforward parallelization of Ipopt. It indeed needs further work, e.g., more features, better matrix storage, convergence criteria... To our knowledge, parallel pdipm is not available other than our pdipm. We should improve our pdipm.
Hong