[petsc-users] MPI+OpenMP+MKL

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 21:29:03 CDT 2023

On Fri 7. Apr 2023 at 07:06, Astor Piaz <appiazzolla at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello petsc-users,
> I am trying to use a code that is parallelized with a combination of
> OpenMP and MKL parallelisms, where OpenMP threads are able to spawn MPI
> processes.

Is this really the correct way to go?

Would it not be more suitable (or simpler) to run your application on an
 MPI sub communicator which maps one rank to say one compute node, and then
within each rank of the sub comm you utilize your threaded OpenMP / MKL
code using as many physical threads as there are cores/ node  (and or hyper
threads if that’s is effective for you)?

Thanks,
Dave

I have carefully scheduled the processes such that the right amount is