[petsc-users] A question regarding a potential use case for DMNetwork

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:06:45 CST 2018

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 3:51 PM Markus Lohmayer via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear PETSc users and developers,
>
> in particular those experienced with the relatively new DMNetwork object,
> I would like to get some advice on wether it makes sense for my
> application to be built using this PETSc feature
> or if I am equally well served if I use plain Vec and Mat objects.
>
> In the latter case, you might nevertheless have some good advice for a
> novice PETSc user
> or you might know about something that helps me to come up with a well
> architected solution.
>
> So the application context is closely linked to LTI state-space models
> (and in particular two-port / n-port network models and their
> interconnections):
> x,t = A x + B u
> y   = C x + D u
>
> More specifically, input ‘u' and output ‘y' are vectors (of same length
> for all components).
> Different components will have different dimension of state ‘x' (and hence
> also ‘A', ‘B', ‘C').
>
> These component models then have to be interconnected according to a given
> topology:

If the interconnection topology is 1D, then yes DMNetwork is designed to do
this. At the simplest level, you
could just use a 1D DMPlex, which is inside DMNetwork, and hand code the
Section (data layout) and residual/Jacobian
assembly. DMNetwork is a higher level around this that lets you put
"components" down on vertices and edges
that translate to data layout and residual evaluation. I confess to not
understanding the residual part all the way.
If you start trying to modify an example, we can help you I think.