[petsc-users] DMPlex export to hdf5/vtk for triangle/prism mesh

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 29 22:06:28 CDT 2017

On 30/05/17 14:55, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Adrian Croucher
> <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz <mailto:a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/05/17 14:45, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>

>>     What kind of basis are you expecting? A tensor product?
>
>     At present we don't even need basis functions, because we're just
>     doing flow simulation and it's all finite volume.
>

> Okay good. Now for cell geometry. What kind of deformation do you
> allow in the wedge?

As in Fabian's application, these elements arise from meshes which have
a simple layered structure in the vertical, but are unstructured in the
horizontal (can be mixtures of quads and triangles in our case- in fact
the triangles usually only occur where there is local refinement).

So for us these wedges are just horizontal triangles projected downwards
in the vertical- not really deformed at all.

> and what do you want
> to know? For FV, we are providing the centroid and volume. If that is
> enough, we could be done quickly.

Yes, just centroid and volume would be enough.

- Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher
Senior Research Fellow