[petsc-users] Call KSP routine before each timestep

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:42:07 CDT 2017

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Scott Dossa <doss0032 at umn.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Matt:
> Thank you! Using the application context is a good approach to pass the
> vector information. Can you also direct me to which command allows TSSolve
> to be only called for one timestep / start at the correct timestep? When
> TSSolve() is called, it always resets to timestep 0.

You should not need that since PreStep will be called at the beginning of
each step, but just in case

  http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/TS/TSStep.html

although using this is tricky so I do not recommend it.

> Barry:
> Yes, this is a pressure projection method where one needs the pressure
> field at each timestep to solve for the velocity field.

If it was me, I would not do it this way, but its somewhat a matter of
taste. It makes more sense to me to formulate the whole
system as a DAE, meaning time derivatives on some things (v) and not others
(p). Then use a DAE timestepper and your
fluid solver can be formulated as pressure projection using PCFIELDSPLIT.
This way, if you want to use another kind of fluid
solver, you can, whereas now you are stuck with the alternation of
projection of momentum update.