[petsc-users] Correlation between da_refine and pg_mg_levels

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 15:04:04 CDT 2017

Yeah based on my experiments it seems setting pc_mg_levels to $DAREFINE + 1
has decent performance.

1) is there ever a case where you'd want $MGLEVELS <= $DAREFINE? In some of
the PETSc tutorial slides (e.g., http://www.mcs.anl.gov/
petsc/documentation/tutorials/TutorialCEMRACS2016.pdf on slide 203/227)
they say to use $MGLEVELS = 4 and $DAREFINE = 5, but when I ran this, it
was almost twice as slow as if $MGLEVELS >= $DAREFINE

2) So I understand that one cannot refine further than one grid point in
each direction, but is there any benefit to having $MGLEVELS > $DAREFINE by
a lot?

Thanks,
Justin