[petsc-users] Matrix-free TS

Amneet Bhalla mail2amneet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 12:14:33 CDT 2017

Hi Folks,

I am thinking of trying TS module of PETSc to free myself of maintaining
time stepping part of the code and to try different
time integrators easily. The problem that I am considering is
incompressible
Navier Stokes with variable coefficients solved using  projection method.
The method would involve solving equations in two parts:

rho u*_t - div ( sigma) = RHS( u_explicit)  ---- (1)

and then projecting u* onto divergence free u by solving a pressure
Poisson equation  (Eq 2).

 Here sigma = mu ( u_ij + u_ji) is the viscous stress
tensor.

I have custom solvers for solving (1) and (2) using geometric MG  wrapped as
a PCSHELL to MATSHELL obtained by discretizing (1) and (2) say by
Backward Euler.

Is it possible to wrap Eq (1) and (2) in TS in matrix-free form and then
solve for
velocity and pressure using projection method using matrix-free solvers?

--Amneet