[petsc-users] approximating null space of matrix

Manav Bhatia bhatiamanav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 22:17:17 CDT 2017

Hi,

   I am working on some continuation problems and need to approximate the null space of a matrix for bifurcation and branch switching.

   Are there algorithms available in Petsc to do this? Can Slepc be used to calculate the null space of a matrix? I guess the eigenvectors corresponding to zero eigenvalues would serve this purpose? Literature is pointing me in the direction of more elaborate Moore-Spence algorithms. I am not sure why an eigensolver cannot be used for this purpose.

Manav