[petsc-users] How to use f2py on a PETSc/SLEPc-based fortran code

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 07:38:39 CDT 2017

On 22 March 2017 at 20:29, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Lisandro,
>
>     We've had a couple questions similar to this with f2py; is there a way
> we could add to the PETSc/SLEPc makefile rules something to allow people to
> trivially use f2py without having to make their own (often incorrect)
> manual command lines?
>
>    Thanks

Barry, it is quite hard and hacky to get f2py working in the general case.
I think the email from Gaetan in this thread proves my point.

IMHO, it is easier to write a small Fortran source exposing the API to call
using ISO_C_BINDINGS, then wrap that code with the more traditional C-based
"static" tools (SWIG, Cython) or even "dynamically" with ctypes or cffi
(which use dlopen'ing).

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459