[petsc-users] Doubts - Petsc involving mumps in a GPU environment.

Das, Rajeev rajeev.das at cnl.ca
Fri Mar 17 16:16:12 CDT 2017

UNRESTRICTED / ILLIMITÉE
Hi,

I configured Petsc using the following flags

--download-mpich=yes --with-cc=gcc --with-cxx=g++ --with-fc=gfortran --with-shared-libraries=0 --with-debugging=0 --download-mumps=yes --download-scalapack=yes --download-blacs --download-parmetis=yes --download-metis=yes --download-fblaslapack=yes --with-c2html=0 --with-cuda=1 --with-cusp=1 --with-thrust=1 COPTFLAGS=-O3 CXXOPTFLAGS=-O3 FOPTFLAGS=-O3 -march=native -mtune=native

The matrix that I am using to run a program is of type MATAIJ. The command prompts provided are  -ksp_type preonly  -pc_type lu  -pc_factor_mat_solver_package mumps. When I do a nvidia-smi , it is indicating that the program is using a GPU .

My question is with the above configuration and options, is Petsc really using the direct solver in GPU to solve or it is just making copies and that is why I am finding the GPU usage.

In addition, I would also like to know that if the direct solver is not using a GPU in the above case, then how do I use a direct solver in a GPU (using the command prompts, if possible).

Regards,

Rajeev Das.