[petsc-users] MatSetValuesStencil for cols not in the dmda stencil width

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 10:29:22 CST 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Matt.  For a cell in DMDA 3d with global id (ix,iy,iz), what is
> the global row id of that cell corresponding to the matrix generated by
> DMCreateMatrix? It is not always ix + iy*Nx + iz*Ny*Nx for
> different da_processors_xyz, is it? How can I obtain that global row id?

It is not simple:

 1) Figure out the process division using

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-master/docs/manualpages/DMDA/DMDAGetInfo.html

 2) Figure out which process p your i,j,k in on

  You have to march through the processes, knowing how big the chunk of
indices is on each,
  which you get from 1) and

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-master/docs/manualpages/DMDA/DMDAGetOwnershipRanges.html

 3) Add up the sizes from all process less than p, and then the offset on
process p. This the global offset

This is not a scalable thing to do, which is why we do not include it in
the API.

   Matt

>>> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/ksp/ksp/examp