[petsc-users] [SOLVED] make test freeze

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Fri Jan 6 10:08:55 CST 2017

Hi Matthew,

Using the debuguer I finaly found the problem. It is related to MPI. In
src/sys/objects/pinit.c line 779, petsc test the availability of
PETSC_HAVE_MPI_INIT_THREAD and this is set to True beccause my OpenMPI version
is compiled with  --enable-mpi-thread-multiple.
However the call to MPI_Init_thread(argc,args,MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED,&provided)
hangs and freeze the application.

Unsetting PETSC_HAVE_MPI_INIT_THREAD in petsc solves the problem.

I remember a HPC seminar on BULLX systems where they give us some informations
about known problems whith the MPI_Init_thread call in openMPI. May be I should
use a more recent version of OpenMPI. This also explain why I had this problem
with previous versions of petsc (same OpenMPI environment).
None of our codes mixes OpenMP and MPI.... so I never fall in this situation in
production and petsc always behave fine (excepted for make test).

Is there a way to turn off PETSC_HAVE_MPI_INIT_THREAD at configure time for
Petsc ? I've manualy removed it in the generated petscconf.h file before
compiling Petsc in debug mode but I don't think it is the best way to to this.....

Thanks for your help in running separatly the test codes.

Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |